International Students

Students attending Johnson & Wales University on an F-1 or J-1 visa can take advantage of on-campus employment opportunities.



Working for JWU has many benefits:

  • Communication skill development
  • Professionalism skill development
  • Increased connection to the JWU and local community
  • Earn money to help with educational or daily living expenses
  • Networking and resume building


Questions about working on campus?

Contact your campus Student Employment office or   International Student Services office.


Do I pay income taxes on my earnings from my on-campus job?

You may have some taxes deducted based on the total earnings that you make each pay period. 

How to File Your Taxes


I am going on internship. Can I also work on campus during the same semester?  

In most cases you will not be able to work on campus and participate in a semester of internship.

For more information, please check with your international student advisor and campus:

  • International Student Services office
  • Experiential Education & Career Services

Social Security

I have been offered a job on campus - what do I do next?

If you do not already have a Social Security number, you will need a request letter of support from Student Employment and the International Student Services office so that you can apply for a number.

Once you obtain the letters, you will need to bring the following to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office:

  • Passport
  • I-20
  • I-94 receipt

SSA Locations by Campus:

  • Providence:  155 Westminster St. #1000w, Providence, RI 02903
  • Charlotte:  2201 Coronation Blvd. Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28227

If your application is accepted, SSA will give you a receipt to present to your campus student employment representative. This receipt will allow you to begin working.

Student Employment will then allow you to complete the required employee forms. 

How long before I receive a Social Security number?

You will receive your Social Security number and Social Security card from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

It typically takes from 3 to 15 business days.

Can I work before I get my Social Security number?

You will need to present your Social Security number so you can complete your employee forms.

Once your forms are complete, you may then begin working.

How many hours may I work per week?

If you are a student attending Johnson & Wales University with an F-1 or J-1 Visa, you may be eligible to work up to 20 hours per week while you are currently enrolled in classes. This includes weeks that you are partially enrolled such as exam weeks.

Is there any opportunity to work more than 20 hours per week during my employment?

You may work more than 20 hours per week during the summer or official school breaks. Please check with your manager to see if the position is approved for more than 20 hours per week during these time periods.

If you are unsure if you are eligible to work more than 20 hours per week, contact International Student Services.